Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Read Aloud Books for January 28

My Very First Mother Goose is a great compilation of well-known and less-well-know nursery rhymes. The copy I read in class is the same copy I read to both of my children so I know all these rhymes by heart! We read this book over two days and the children are always surprised to realize how many of the rhymes that they already know. The illustrations were done my Rosemary Wells, who does the illustrations for the Max and Ruby stories. We did some different things with this book. I read the rhymes and had the children read along. I read them and would leave out the rhyming words and have the students say them. We clapped the beat of the rhymes and played clapping games. There is a reason these rhymes are still popular after hundreds of years!

The Three Little Pigs is a classic fairy tale that the students love. It has all the basic attributes of a fairy tale (from "Once upon a time..." to animals acting like humans). It provides lots of discussion points for the class. This week we talked about why straw and sticks were not good choices to make a house and why bricks were the best choice. We also looked at the ways in which the animals in the stories acted like people. The students also like to read along to the repeated phrases, for example, "Little pig, little pig, let me in!" "Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin!"
This set of nursery rhyme "easy readers" is always a hit with students. Many children, during the borrow-a-book exchange time and centre time, will choose to go get a book from the nursery rhyme bin and read it. This builds confidence in emerging readers, as they know which rhyme it is by the pictures and since they know the words, they can practice reading along to the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment