Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Read Aloud Books for March 11

Monkey and Me is a lovely, lyrical book with predictable text and easily decoded words that the children really enjoyed listening to and reading themselves. I read this aloud to the class at the beginning of the week. All week I could hear children say aloud the refrain but adding their own words. For example, "Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me we went to see, we went to see the 'sand table'."

Are You My Mother? is a classic book from the 1960's. I remember reading this book myself as a child. In this story, a baby bird asked various animals and things if they are his mother and in the end he realized that, of course, a kitten or an excavator cannot be his mother as he embraced the big mother bird. Children love the sense of the absurd in this story as the reader is challenged with questions like "could the cow be the baby bird's mother?" Of course they all shouted out "NO!"

The Mixed Up Chameleon is an Eric Carle book that has a great message. The class actually saw a video of this book. In this story, the chameleon was not happy they way he was and tried on different parts of different animals. Of course, he got all mixed up and in the end realized that he was happy being a regular chameleon.


I Wish That I Had Duck Feet was a book I read to the class in September. We read it again this week because the children made a connection between this story and the Eric Carle book, The Mixed Up Chameleon. Students are expected at all grade levels to make a connection between books, as in "This book reminds me of..." With this book I could model for the children how this is done. It is also a humourous book that is always great fun to share with a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment